Are you looking to make a statement with an eco-friendly diamond but unsure of the difference between eco diamonds vs real diamonds? Natural diamonds also called real diamonds have always been seen as symbols of beauty, strength and immense value. But recent advances in technology mean that there are now alternatives – such as eco diamonds – that have many benefits over traditional ones. In this blog post, we’ll explore the differences between natural diamonds and eco diamonds, discuss their pros and cons, so you can decide which style is right for your lifestyle.
What is eco diamonds and what is real diamonds?
Eco diamonds and real diamonds are both types of diamond jewelry, but the two differ significantly. Real diamonds are mined from the earth, while eco-diamonds are grown in a laboratory setting using advanced technology. Eco-diamonds are chemically identical to natural diamonds and look indistinguishable when set in jewelry that is why they have become an increasingly popular alternative to traditional mined diamonds.
Real diamonds have been around since before recorded history and hold high value due to their rarity, as only 20% of all naturally occurring diamond deposits can be used for jewelry. On the other hand, eco-diamonds are created in laboratories with advanced technologies such as chemical vapor deposition (CVD) or High Pressure High Temperature (HPHT).
Key differences between eco diamonds and real diamonds
- Eco diamonds are lab-grown and real diamonds are mined from the Earth.
- Eco diamonds are environmentally friendly while real diamonds require a lot of energy to be extracted from the ground.
- Eco diamonds often have lower prices than real diamonds due to their laboratory production process.
- The clarity and color of eco diamonds can be controlled more precisely during the growth process, allowing for higher quality control compared to natural stones which form in random ways over time.
- Eco diamond rings tend to come with a warranty, whereas natural diamond rings may not offer any additional protection or assurance of their value over time.
- Eco diamond jewelry is a great alternative for those looking for an ethical choice that also offers beauty and affordability without compromising on quality.
- Eco diamond jewelry does not require a conflict free certification, as it is not mined from the ground.
- Eco diamonds are created in a laboratory setting with no waste material produced during the process, while mining for real diamonds often leads to environmental degradation due to the use of heavy machinery and chemical processes involved.
- Since eco diamond production can be done on-site in laboratories, they do not need to be shipped around the world like natural stones often have to be – making them more accessible and cost-effective. For those looking for an ethical choice that also offers beauty and affordability without compromising on quality, eco diamond jewelry is a great option compared to traditional diamonds mined from the Earth.
Eco diamonds offer many advantages such as lower prices due to their laboratory production process, higher quality control and a warranty that is not offered with natural diamonds. Eco diamonds do not require a conflict free certification as they are not mined from the ground, and their production does not lead to environmental degradation. Eco diamond jewelry is a great option for those looking for an ethical and sustainable choice that still offers beauty and affordability.
What are the pros of eco diamonds over real diamonds?
- Eco diamonds cost significantly less than real diamonds and other alternatives.
- Eco diamonds are conflict-free and don’t support any type of human rights violations or illegal activities, as they are created in a laboratory instead of being mined from the earth.
- Since eco diamonds are man-made, they can be customized to meet individual aesthetics and preferences, while also offering far greater consistency than natural diamond sourcing.
- Unlike mined diamonds, eco diamonds do not contribute to environmental degradation since no mining is necessary for their production.
- Eco-diamonds offer considerably more color options than traditionally mined stones, enabling buyers to choose from an array of colors that would otherwise be unavailable with mined stones such as blue, yellow and champagne hues.
- Eco diamonds are an ethical and sustainable choice for those looking to purchase a diamond-based engagement ring or other jewelry item.
- Unlike natural diamonds, eco diamonds come with a certificate of authenticity which confirms the characteristics and quality of the stone, providing buyers peace of mind that they are making a smart purchase decision.
- Eco diamonds have excellent clarity and are available in various grades that match their mined counterparts.
- Lastly, eco diamonds can provide an opportunity to save on costs while still having a beautiful piece of jewelry that will last far longer than its lifetime! By choosing an eco diamond over traditional mined stones, you can be part of the movement towards sustainability without sacrificing beauty or quality. And, since eco diamonds require no mining or extensive processing, you can feel good about your decision to buy a conflict-free and environmentally friendly piece of jewelry.
Cons of eco diamonds compared to real diamonds
- Cost: Eco diamonds cost significantly less than natural diamonds, because they are manufactured in a lab.
- Clarity: Eco diamonds lack the clarity and sparkle of real diamonds due to their man-made origin.
- Durability: Eco diamonds do not have the same level of durability as real diamonds, and can be scratched more easily.
- Lack of Rarity: Since eco diamonds are created in a lab, there is no guarantee that it is unique or rare like a real diamond would be.
- Valuation: It is difficult to determine an accurate value for eco diamonds as they cannot be graded like natural stones can be. This makes them difficult to resell should you choose to do so in the future.
- Resale Value: The resale value of eco diamonds is often much lower than the original purchase price, and they may not be accepted by some diamond buyers.
- Reputation: Eco diamonds are still relatively new to the market, so it can be difficult to find a reputable seller and guarantee authenticity.
- Limited Selection: The selection of eco diamonds available on the market is limited when compared to real diamonds, and they may not always come in all shapes, sizes or cuts that you might prefer.
- Quality: As with any man-made product, there will always be discrepancies in quality control which could affect the overall look and feel of the diamond itself.
Pros real diamonds over eco diamonds
- Real diamonds are more durable and last longer than eco diamonds.
- Real diamonds have a higher value and can be sold for more money in the future.
- Real diamonds don’t require any special care, whereas eco diamonds may need to be regularly recoated with protective sealants to prevent damage.
- The colour and clarity of real diamonds is usually more vivid than that of eco diamonds as they are naturally formed over time under immense pressure inside the Earth’s crust.
- Real diamonds also offer unique characteristics such as fire, brilliance, and scintillation which cannot be replicated in man-made gems or eco-diamonds.
- Natural diamond jewellery pieces tend to hold their value better over time compared to synthetic or eco-diamonds.
- Real diamonds are ethically sourced, with some even being certified conflict-free, whereas eco diamonds may not be able to guarantee the same.
- Finally, real diamonds come with authenticity certifications which can help prove they are genuine natural diamonds and not man-made or synthetic alternatives like eco diamonds.
Overall, real diamonds offer a range of benefits over eco diamonds that make them the preferred choice for many people seeking high quality gemstones for jewellery pieces and investments.
Cons of real diamonds compared to eco diamonds
- Real diamonds tend to be much more expensive than eco-diamonds since they are naturally formed gems that require significant resources and energy to mine and shape into jewellery pieces.
- Because of the environmental impact, real diamonds may not be a good choice for someone looking to purchase an ethically and sustainably sourced piece.
- Since natural diamonds are formed deep within the earth’s crust, they often contain trace elements or flaws that can affect their colour and clarity, resulting in a lower grade diamond than one made from a Lab-Grown Diamond.
- Real diamonds also can be more difficult to track through the supply chain due to their limited availability and lack of standard certifications like those seen with eco-diamonds.
- Conflict diamonds have been known to enter the market due to illicit mining practices, making it harder for buyers to guarantee an ethical source for their chosen gemstone. In comparison, eco diamonds are produced in a laboratory setting and have full traceability, guaranteeing ethical sourcing.
- Lnlike real diamonds which maintain their value over time, eco-diamonds depreciate in value more quickly due to the lack of rarity associated with them. This means that they may not maintain their value like a natural diamond would if it is resold some years later.
In short, while there are certain pros and cons associated with both options, ultimately choosing between them depends on personal preference and what factors are most important for you as the buyer. Eco-diamonds provide an affordable alternative to real diamonds that also has far lower environmental impact than mining for traditional gems however, if one is looking for a luxurious piece that will maintain its value, a natural diamond may be the better option. Ultimately, it is important to do research and weigh all your options before making a purchase. This will ensure that you end up with the perfect gemstone for your needs and lifestyle.
Situations when eco diamonds is better than real diamonds
- Eco diamonds are more affordable – they cost up to 40% less than real diamonds.
- Eco diamonds are ethically sourced, while many real diamonds come from conflict zones and their sale often helps finance war efforts around the world.
- Eco diamonds have a lesser environmental impact since they don’t require deep-mining operations like real diamonds do.
- Since eco-diamonds aren’t mined, it is easier for companies to ensure that the labour practices used in their production meet ethical standards.
- Eco diamond jewellery is much lighter than real diamond jewellery since it does not contain heavy metals and stones that add weight to traditional diamond jewellery 6. As eco diamond jewellery does not contain any metal or stone components, its design is much more flexible, allowing for a wider variety of designs.
- Since eco diamonds are not mined and require less manpower to produce them, their production costs are far lower than real diamonds.
- Eco diamond jewellery is much easier to care for and maintain as it does not contain any metal or stone components that can corrode over time.
- Eco diamonds are available in a variety of colours and sizes which allows for greater flexibility when choosing the perfect piece of jewellery to match an outfit or style.
- As eco diamond jewellery does not contain any metals or stones, it is also hypoallergenic making it ideal for individuals with sensitivity to certain types of materials used in traditional diamond jewellery pieces.
The bottom line is that eco diamonds can be a great alternative to real diamonds, especially when it comes to cost, ethics, and environmental impact. Eco diamonds offer a beautiful, durable, and affordable alternative to traditional diamonds that is sure to please everyone. Whether you are looking for a special piece of jewellery or just a sparkling accessory, eco diamonds can be the perfect choice.
Situations when real diamonds is better than eco diamonds
- When you are looking to invest in a diamond. Eco diamonds will not hold the same resale value as real diamonds, so if you are looking to buy a diamond with an intention to resell it, then a real diamond is probably your best bet.
- When you want the most sparkle and brilliance. Eco diamonds may look similar to their mined counterparts, but they don’t possess the same level of clarity, cut quality and fire that natural mined diamonds have. If you want the highest quality sparkle for your jewelry, then real mined diamonds are a better choice than eco diamonds.
- When you’re looking for large sizes or rare colors of diamonds. Most eco-diamonds come in only limited sizes and colors, whereas with natural mined diamonds, you have access to a much wider range of sizes and colors. If you’re looking for larger diamonds or rare color stones, then real diamonds will be your only option.
- When you want a truly unique diamond that has been with us for thousands of years. Natural mined diamonds are millions of years old, so each one is completely unique and precious in its own way. Eco diamonds may look just as beautiful but they don’t carry the same sentimental value that comes with owning a natural mined diamond that has been around since before recorded history began.
- When longevity matters to you most: Real Diamonds have an excellent track record when it comes to standing up to daily wear and tear better than eco-diamonds which can easily break, chip or scratch if not treated with care. Real diamonds are also less affected by extreme temperatures and other environmental factors than eco-diamonds. If you want a diamond that will last through the years, then a real diamond is probably your best option.
Eco Diamonds Vs Real Diamonds Summary
All in all, diamonds are amazing – whether they are eco or real. They have been around for centuries and will continue to be popular for many years to come. It really comes down to a matter of personal preference when choosing between the two. Some people prefer eco diamonds because they are more ethically sourced and environmentally friendly. Others prefer real diamonds because they have been passed down through generations and hold sentimental value. Whatever you choose, just remember that both types of diamonds are beautiful in their own way! If you have any questions, leave a comment below and we’ll be happy to answer.